Ahh, one of the classics. Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, is filed each year if you paid someone at least $10 in royalties or broker payments or at least $600 in:
- services done by a non-employee,
- other income payments,
- medical/health care payments,
- crop insurance proceeds,
- cash payments for fish,
- cash paid from a notional principal contract,
- attorney payments, or
- any fishing boat proceeds.
Our next form is intriguing, to say the least: Form 1099-INT, Interest Income. This form is filed each year for every recipient of at least $10 in interest income you have. Keep in mind that Form 1099-INT is for tax-exempt interest reporting only; any interest you need to report that is taxable needs to be reported on Form 1099-OID.
Coming in at number three is Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions. This form can be a bit tricky, and it’s filed by banks and other financial institutions for their investors. A Form 1099-DIV is filed for each investor:
- who was paid $10 or more in dividends and other distributions on stock,
- who was paid at least $600 as part of a liquidation,
- “for whom you have withheld and paid any foreign tax on dividends and other distributions of stock,”
- “for whom you have withheld any federal income tax on dividends under the backup withholding rules.”
New to ExpressIRSForms this year is Form 1099-R, *deep breath* Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement, or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. Form 1099-R reports various distributions over $10 of retirement benefits, like any of the ones listed in it’s long, long name.
Keep in mind that for your 2015 1099 forms, recipient copies were due February 1, paper forms are due February 29, and e-filed forms are due March 31. And if you have more than 250 of any one 1099 Form to file, you’re required by the IRS to e-file those forms.
If you have questions about the 1099 Forms or e-filing them with ExpressIRSForms, just get in touch with our friendly customer support team. We’re available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday, by phone (704-839-2270) and live chat. We also offer 24/7 email support at email@example.com.