Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Tax Day for Citizens Abroad is Coming Up!

Everyone knows Tax Day is in April. Well, unless you get an extension of time to file with Form 4868, that is.

But did you know some Americans automatically receive a two-month extension each year, making their tax day June 15th instead? And unlike the Form 4868 extension, those who receive this extension also have the extra two months to pay any taxes owed. Unfortunately, though, this isn’t something just anyone can apply for: it can only be used by U.S. citizens and residents abroad.

Those who are eligible for this two-month extension include
  • Those living outside the United States and Puerto Rico whose main place of business is also outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico and
  • Those in the military or naval service who are on duty outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
    • If you’re serving in a combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area, see this IRS publication for more info on deadline extensions for your taxes.

If you’re married and filing a joint return, either you or your spouse can qualify for this extension and receive more time to file. However, if you file separately, only the spouse who qualifies for the extension may get two more months to file.

So if the above conditions apply to you, your personal tax deadline is June 15, 2017, for the 2016 tax year. To avoid any confusion or late fees, attach a statement to your return explaining which situation qualifies you for the extension.

You can find more info about this extended tax day deadline here! And be sure to stay tuned with ExpressIRSForms for all your tax-filing information!

No comments:

Post a Comment